Critiques of Heifetz

 Critiques of Heifetz

(post still being worked on!)

Music critic - Henderson: a Positive Effect

Whilst there may have been a number of useless negative reviews about Heifetz, there is at least one example of a review which profoundly affected Heifetz in his younger years and probably affected the quality and seriousness of his playing for the better. This can be found on p148 of Ayke Agus’ book “Heifetz as I knew him”

The review was by W.J. Henderson in 1921, music critic by the New York Sun who counselled Heifetz to immerse himself more in the depths of his music. Heifetz recognised the risk of his playing becoming superficial and immediately corrected his course. According to Agus the review had crushed him and he took it particularly hard and he even had suicidal thoughts! This was a good slap in the face and on reflection in the end Heifetz must have been grateful to receive it. Later on he would bemoan the ‘mediocrity’ of this world and his taste remained impeccable, whether it be a Jim Hoyl obligato or the Sibelius Concerto.

Sadly Henderson’s life was ended by gunshot wound in 1937, ironically it was he who ended his own life by suicide it would seem.

The critic W J Henderson wrote a rather scathing review after a recital in 1921 which Heifetz years later related – ‘He wrote that I was letting the public, and him down, and that I had better watch my step. He said that it was not enough to play a piece – you must think it. He said that I owed it to myself and music never to be content. I knew that the man wished me well – he hit home because he wrote the truth. I began to take a good look at myself. I started to practise seriously. I curbed my youthful extravagances. I shall always be grateful to Henderson.

He jolted me out of my complacency and put me on the right path. Critics can sometimes be very helpful. He died some years ago and I will always regret that I did not meet him. He did me a great service.’ (15) So, Jascha knuckled down once more, and, jolted out of his carefree attitude the mature, perhaps ‘finished’ musician – if that can ever be said of a true artist, started to appear. (Stephen Bryant)

 

Music critic - Thomson: a Negative Effect

 

Virgil Thomson described Heifetz’ playing as “silken underwear”
The review was not favourably accepted by Heifetz who never forgave him and understandably so, it’s a horrible appraisal which no Heifetz fan could ever agree with.

 

Professional Jealousy of Heifetz

See my video on this topic

 

Comments

Popular Posts